My name is John and I want to prepare your taxes.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Your Tax Question - 026

Dear John, I am a college student and I had a summer job. I did not make a lot of money and I was wondering if I had to file a tax return this year? Thanks, Jay
---
Hi Jay,

From what I gather you are single. The IRS requires that you file a return if you earned at least $9,350 in wages. If you made less than that you are not required to file. However, I suggest filing because you may have some federal or state tax money that is due back to you and since you are a student you may have student loan interest to claim. Also, this year President Obama is giving you $400 for having earned income so you really do need to file.

Best wishes,
John

PS. I know an excellent tax guy you can trust. Email me

No comments:

Post a Comment