My name is John and I want to prepare your taxes.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Your Tax Question - 012

Dear John, I know that I will owe taxes this year but I really do not have the money, what can I do? Sincerely, Desperate.
---
Dear Desperate,

You can do a couple of things. First, you can fill out Form 4868 for an automatic 6-month extension and then simply pay the interest on what you owe in October. Or, if you will have the money soon after April 15th you could file but leave it to the IRS to
figure your tax for you - that way the IRS would bill you which would give you an extra 30-45 days to come up with the money.

In the worst case scenario (and I don't endorse this) you could borrow the money from your grandmother and never repay her - she is likely less intimidating than the IRS. ;-)


Best of Luck,
John.

PS. I would be happy to help you with the IRS part (not your grandma). email me

No comments:

Post a Comment