My name is John and I want to prepare your taxes.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Your Tax Question – 057

Dear John, Is it true that I need to wait until after February 15th to do my taxes this year? Sincerely, Jules
---
Hi Jules,

Because congress did not get things wrapped up until mid-December of 2010, the IRS has been scrambling to get their systems changed. For that reason the IRS had informed preparers that beginning Feb. 14, the IRS will start processing both paper and e-filed returns claiming itemized deductions on Schedule A, the higher education tuition and fees deduction on Form 8917, and the educator expenses deduction. So Jules, if you are not one of these effected people you are free to submit your return at any time.

With that said, I also suggest that my clients wait until after February 15th to do their taxes if they have any dealings with brokerage firms as these firms are not required to have 1099-INT’s to their clients until that time anyway.

I hope this helps,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment