My name is John and I want to prepare your taxes.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Your Tax Question - 009

Dear John, My husband and I just adopted a baby girl from China and we have to get her a Social Security number, how do we do this? Thanks, Rita.
---
Dear Rita,

I would have thought that the agency that managed your adoption process should have given you all this information (that’s my way of saying that I am not exactly sure). I know that you will need a number for her to claim her on your taxes but I am not positive if she will have a SSN or need a ATIN (Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number) during the process of getting her a SSN. However, try this link for more information -
IRS website.

I hope this helps,
John

PS. If you and your husband need a tax preparer for the tax season - I know a guy. Email me

No comments:

Post a Comment