My name is John and I want to prepare your taxes.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Your Tax Question - 005

(The following is only a partial portion of the whole question)

Dear John, I am separated from my husband but we plan to still file a joint return this next year... ...what are some of the ramifications of this? Thanks in advance, Emma.
---
Dear Emma,

Sorry about the separation, I really pray that you can reconcile. Your question leaves a lot of the details out but basically married couples filing jointly get the largest standard tax deductions – that is until you have a separate address from your spouse. Apparently, too many people were getting legally married in order to benefit from the tax breaks of the Joint status. However, the IRS got wise and now it requires that married couples have the same permanent address. Be sure that you AND your spouse discuss the particulars with a tax professional in order to best maneuver this one.

Yours, John


PS. My services are available and they not that pricey. Email Me

No comments:

Post a Comment