My name is John and I want to prepare your taxes.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Your Tax Question - 034

Dear John, I paid a Lawyer to assemble my will. I have been told that these charges are deductible on my taxes - is this true? Sincerely, Wilma
---
Hi Wilma,

The IRS accepts legal fees deductible only as those services pertain to the production of income. For instance, if you hired a lawyer to write a lease for you to use in your rental property then those fees would be deductible. Or in the case of divorce, attorney fees attributable to collecting alimony is deductible as well.

I am sorry but the fees paid to a lawyer to have your will completed is not deductible.


Thanks for the question,
John

PS. Time is running short, email me if you would like one of the remaining slots on my client list
.

No comments:

Post a Comment