My name is John and I want to prepare your taxes.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Your Tax Question - 031

Dear John, This year I received my W-2 and I also received a 1099 from the same job but the 1099 has a different business name on it. My tax software is now requiring me to fill out a Schedule C as part of my taxes. Filing out a Schedule C is requiring me to answer a bunch of questions that I don't have answers for. Can I get around filing out the Schedule C? Thanks, Pat
---
Hi Pat,

I don't want to get into a guessing game here so I would suggest that you call your company and find out if there was not a mistake and inquire why this happened. Remember, that the IRS will make a determination about your worker status, simply fill out Form SS-8.

Sorry, there really is no way around the Schedule C-EZ in this case. If there were no you taxes withheld from the 1099 (which I doubt that there were) you will have to pay double on the Social Security and Medicare portions of your wages. This is all covered on the 1040 SE form when you do your taxes. It should not be too difficult just a little extra effort.

I hope this helps.
John

PS. I know of a great tax guy if you need one. ;-) Email me

No comments:

Post a Comment